IRCS trying to release blocked humanitarian cash contributions
TEHRAN, 11 October 2020 (IRCS) – Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS) President Dr Karim Hemmati said that the Society was working to release 15 million US dollars from foreign humanitarian contributions for Iran’s 2019 flood and Covid-19 which had been blocked abroad due to the sanctions.
“At the onset of the Coronavirus outbreak in the country, the Society managed to control the entrance and exits of the cities including more than 21 million people and 7.5 million vehicles through measuring fever of travelers and referring patients to medical centers,” said IRCS president to ICANA, which is an Iranian news agency.
During coronavirus, Iranian Red Crescent also distributed 300,000 livelihood packages to vulnerable families and handed out 500,000 hygiene parcels and first aid packages to invalids.
Furthermore, Iranian people donated more than 20,238,000 US dollars of in-kind contributions and 8,809,000 US dollars of cash contributions to the Iranian Red Crescent to support the deprived groups.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies also allocated 1 million dollar from international aids to Iranian Red Crescent to provide health packages and essential items, which were distributed among the provinces.
“Given the exemptions granted to IRCS from the embargoes, we are now trying to gradually expatriate frozen assets outside of the country,” said Dr Hemmati. “Considering the current and previous contributions, a total of 15 million dollars have been piled up outside the country which, once freed, would make things better for the vulnerable groups of the society. A portion of the sum is earmarked for the households affected by the floods earlier in the calendar year (which began on March 21), and the rest is allocated for COVID-19 patients and their families. The sums will be distributed in the provinces among those in need of them.”