686 Patients with Covid-19 discharged from Red Crescent hospital
TEHRAN, 21 September 2020 (IRCS) - 686 patients with Covid-19 have been discharged from Noorafshar Hospital which is affiliated to the Iranian Red Crescent Society (IRCS), since the coronavirus broke out in Iran.
From 20 February to 18 September, 5,163 patients with Covid-19 have referred to the Noorafshar Hospital as an emergency condition, according to Dr, Bahman Sobhani, the head of the Noorafshar Hospital.
Out of a total of 1,278 proven coronavirus patients who had referred to different wards of the hospital, 686 were discharged while recovering, and unfortunately 166 lost their lives, added Sobhani.
In addition to regular and special beds for the admission of patients with Covid-19, 21 ventilator sets have been used to treat patients.
The Iranian Red Crescent’s Noorafshar Hospital is active during the coronavirus outbreak as an ancillary hospital of Masih Daneshvari Hospital in Tehran.
Noorafshar Hospital at a glance
At first, the place known as “Jamalabad palace” was turned by the late Abolhassan Noorafshar, into a small hospice for the care of children suffering from poliomyelitis who had been left on the streets of Tehran. In 1339/9/30 (1960), Noorafshar dedicated this palace and all of its vicinity including 4 hectares of garden and an exclusive aqueduct; to the Iranian Red Crescent. Since then, it started activity with the official name of “the Noorafshar hospice for the paralyzed” under the supervision of the Red Crescent.
The construction of the Noorafshar general hospital was started by the late Noorafshar, but he himself didn’t live to see its opening and this hospital was opened in 1355 (1976), with an area 4500 square meters, providing services in form of orthopedic surgery, rehabilitation, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, a laboratory and radiology.
After the Islamic revolution, for a short time, management of the hospital became the responsibility of the ministry of health and welfare and during the period of the imposed 8 year war with Iraq, it was used for care of the war victims under the supervision of “bonyade shahid”. After the war, it was used as a hospice for the war veterans with disabilities and was managed by the “bonyade mostazafan va janbazan” establishment.
Finally, after lots of effort from the Iranian Red Crescent and with the scientific support of Tehran University of Medical sciences; and after reconstruction of the main building together with construction of clinic and office buildings, which took around 13 years, in early 1392 (2013) the hospital was reopened as an advanced Rehabilitation and sports medicine sub-specialty hospital. It now has 22000 square meters of medical and office building area.